Tuesday, April 3, 2007

Unhappy with Hong Kong Cafe on Mineral Point

Got take-out dinner for the second time at Hong Kong Cafe, 7475 Mineral Point Road, Madison, WI 53717. We got home with the meal quickly and started in soon after.

I'll preface my comments with this: I've never eaten in the restaurant and it is possible that would be a different experience.

Okay, this time we got General Tsao's Chicken, Chicken and veggies, and Orange Chicken. The Orange Chicken has an interesting flavor in the sauce, perhaps obtained by using some oil and/or rind in the sauce. It is interesting.

That is where the interest stops. Tsao's and Orange were both coated chicken dishes and both were very soggy, no crispness whatsoever (same impression in the first take-away meal from Hong Kong Cafe a few weeks back). Chicken with Veggies is not coated, but the flavor was just OK, nothing to write home (or here further) about.

I suspected something would be wrong with these meals since they are ready to go in five minutes after ordering. I believe it is very hard to produce good quality Chinese food that quickly (save Panda Express, which has the food ready to go all the time - their secret is that the food sells so quickly it usually doesn't have time to get old and soggy. Of course, I've been disappointed by Panda a few times lately, too...).

I do not plan to go back to Hong Kong Cafe on Mineral Point.

Help! I need to find a good, cheap, Chinese take-away place near Mineral Point and Gammon.

4 comments:

Forward Our Motto said...

There's Chiang Jiang (which I've never really liked, it's too much like McDonald's food).

Ever try Grand China?

damackay said...

No, I haven't tried either Chiang Jiang or Grand China.

Where are they?

cdmsc said...

We like Chiang Jiang very much. It's on the northwest corner of Watts and Gammon next to Betty Bling

damackay said...

Cool! I'll have to go check them both out.

OH! Where is Grand China? It sounds like the kind of name that might apply to more than one Chinese restaurant in the area.