Saturday, November 14, 2009

Cleveland Hopkins International Airport

This is not a review of a particular eatery.

I had occasion to wait for 2+ hours at Cleveland's Hopkins Int'l Airport (CLE) last weekend. It was to be my first time there and I was looking forward to finding the Cincinnati-style chili vendor that would undoubtedly be there. While I prefer Skyline Chili to Red Star, the latter has been very tasty when I've had it at the Cincinnati/Northern Kentucky International Airport (CVG).

I couldn't find a Red Star or Skyline Chili in my terminal, so I found the grand map of the entire airport, which was electronic and interactive. I had it display the food joints in each of the terminals. NO chili places of any kind were to be found at CLE! Worse, the selection of alternate dining was dismal.

There were multiple Max & Irma's (but none in my terminal, of course), which have been fine when I've visited them outside of airports, but I had my heart set on chili.

At this point I would have gladly gone to any part of the airport for a Chili's-To-Go and ordered tortilla chips and queso dip (when it's good it's loaded with chili meat). Alas, even that old airport standby was nowhere to be found in CLE.

So, I bought a blueberry scone and a pint of milk from what looked like a glorified cart-type vendor that had decided to bolt some of their operation to the floor. It was just OK - the scone was too sweet.

And, to top things off, there was no free wifi at CLE, but that's a topic for another blog....

D

No comments: